SAN JUAN ISLAND LIBRARY—
BOARD OF TRUSTEES’ PUBLIC NOTICE
Position Available on the San Juan Island Library District Board
The Board of Trustees is seeking candidates to fill a partial-term vacancy on the five-member library board. The non-paid term of office is from date of appointment to December 31, 2019, and is eligible for reappointment to a five-year term. Recommendation will be submitted by the current Board of Trustees, and the appointment made by the San Juan County Council.
For more information contact Laurie Orton, Library Director, at 360-378-2798.
Official letters of interest and qualifications should be sent to the Board of Trustees, San Juan Island Library, 1010 Guard St., Friday Harbor, WA 98250. All letters must be received by January 3, 2018 in order to be considered for the position.
Job Title: Library Trustee
Appointed by the County Council for a five-year term, or to fill remainder of a partial term.
Accountable to: The taxpayers, the County Council, and the people served by the library.
Responsibilities: Establishes library policies; plans for the future of the library; oversees overall effectiveness of the library; promotes and advocates for the library in the community; oversees budget process; hires and evaluates the library director.
- Fulfills a five year term
- Attends monthly meetings, special meetings, and annual retreat
- Prepares for meetings by reading board minutes, agenda, and other materials sent out prior to meeting
- Offers expertise and leadership to board for the good of the library
- Establishes and administers policy for the library in accordance with state, federal laws and guidelines of the America Library Association and Washington Library Association
- Once adopted by the board, library staff carry out the policies on a day-to-day basis establishing appropriate procedures and practices
- Abides by majority decisions reached by the Board and publicly supports these decisions
- Develops long term plans for the library assuring continuous implementation of the library’s mission and objective statements
- Oversees the distribution and expenditure of tax funds allocated to the library district
- Approves annual budget
- Approves significant or costly contracts as appropriate
- Monitors budget against levy returns
- Oversees revenue sources to the library district
- Identifies need for levy adjustments
- Explores and develops alternate funding sources
- Becomes informed about the services offered by the library and promotes those services in the community
- Hires and supervises the library director to oversee the operation and maintenance of the library in accordance with library policy
- Supports basic library tenets such as: Intellectual Freedom, Freedom to Read, Confidentiality of Patron Records, Library Bill of Rights, and the Public’s Right to Information
- Interest and commitment to the library
- Recognition of the library and its roles in the community
- Closeness to community
- Ability to work as part of a team, lead meetings, and communicate effectively
- Ability to devote time and effort required to the duties of trusteeship
- Exposure to or knowledge of personnel procedures
- Understanding of establishing impartial policies
- Understanding of governing boards and legal requirements of public agencies
- Ability to publicly represent the library
- Sound judgment, a sense of fiscal responsibility, legal understanding, and political awareness
- Open to new ideas and willing to learn
Desired Skills (one or more of the following):
- Real Estate