An integral part of the mission of the San Juan Island Library District is to ensure that the Library provides an environment which encourages lifelong learning for all ages. To this end, the Library has established rules of conduct that promote a safe, healthy, and barrier-free environment. Library staff will make every effort to apply these rules in a fair, humane, and positive manner for the benefit of all. Libraries are public places where each person is responsible for his/her safety, the safety of children in his/her care, and the security of personal belongings. Enforcement of these rules will be conducted in a fair and reasonable manner.
Please inform a staff member if you feel another’s behavior or activity is unreasonably interfering with your enjoyment of the library.
The following behaviors and activities are prohibited:
- Behavior that is prohibited by law.
- Activity that unreasonably interferes with others’ use and enjoyment of the library or with the functioning of library staff.
- Behavior that is unsafe.
- Sexual misconduct.
- Activity that can reasonably be expected to damage library property or the property of others.
- Unlawful possession of weapons.
- Any conduct intended to offend others.
- Personal hygiene so offensive as to constitute a nuisance to others.
- Talking on cell phones or out loud through other electronic devices.
- Consuming food, except by authorized groups in designated meeting rooms or areas.
- Smoking within the Library or within 25 feet of the Library entrance.
- Soliciting (e.g., sales, canvassing).
- Bringing animals into the library other than service animals.
- Bringing in bicycles. Skateboards, in-line skates, etc. must be carried at all times.
Library staff and/or local law enforcement officers will intervene to stop prohibited activities and behaviors. Failure to comply with the Library’s established rules and policies could result in removal from the premises and expulsion from the Library for a period of one day to one year, or in arrest or prosecution. Violations could also result in the restriction or termination of Library privileges.
APPROVED BY THE SJI Library BOARD OF TRUSTEES (June 9, 2009)