If you were unable to attend one of our open house meetings, please find the handouts and draft feasibility report below.
In the next few days there will be a display and information station at the San Juan Island Library where you can read more about the open houses and also provide feedback of your own. Please make sure to submit all feedback by Monday, June 11.
The Board of Trustees of the San Juan Island Library will decide upon a course of action for the Library’s future at the June Board meeting to be held on Tuesday, June 12 at 3 pm. All visitors welcome.
The final feasibility report will be available soon.
Assessing Our Library Facilities Needs
When we ask Library patrons what we could improve about our Library’s facilities, the two most common answers are “more quiet space” and “parking.” In 2011, the Library surveyed the community in preparing our current Long Range Plan (for 2012-2017), and many respondents mentioned these and other facilities issues.
At the same time, the Library District is facing increasing costs from building maintenance, given the age and construction of the building. We face major projects like roof replacement, improving site drainage, and ongoing efforts to keep the basement clear of water and mold.
As a result, the Library District began a facilities assessment project, whose purpose is to:
- Understand the community’s needs for Library space
- Understand the mechanical and maintenance issues associated with our current building and site
- Outline the options available to the community for Library facilities
Facilities Assessment Process
- Beginning in 2015 the Board held four Special Work Session meetings open to the public to begin planning the process.
- In 2016 the Board tested a community survey on three focus groups. The feedback suggested that we provide more information on the state of the building and its inherent capacity for change and growth.
- In 2017 the Library hired SHKS Architects to carry out a facilities assessment and feasibility study.
Their results, with input from library staff, will be presented at three upcoming community open houses in 2018:
Sunday, May 20th from 3:00 – 5:00 PM
Sunday, May 20th from 7:00 – 9:00 PM
Monday, May 21st from 1:00 – 3:00 PM
For a full description of the entire process view our timeline.
Please join us!
Minutes from Facilities Assessment Meetings
Although specific issues are often discussed at the regular monthly Board of Trustees meetings (3 pm on the second Tuesday of each month, in the Library meeting room), we also conduct dedicated work sessions. Any meeting we conduct is an open public meeting, which we advertise in the newspaper, and the public is welcome.
The notes and minutes from our work sessions are kept along with the regular Board of Trustees meeting minutes located on our website. Additionally, we will post links here to work session and public forum meetings specifically about facilities assessment and planning.
- Board Retreat Draft
- Long Range Plan Review
- Retreat Planning Notes
- Work of Leaders- Planning change
- Questions to Consider for a New Library